This unique remnant of the Big Woods ecosystem encompasses a range of habitats, from maple-basswood forest to prairie, calcareous fen, and river vistas. The west-side and east-side trail systems provide the opportunity to explore the natural features that make the CRWA one of the premier areas of the entire county.
Cannon River Wilderness Area facilities on the west side include:
- Five miles of hiking and horseback trails
- A picnic area with a shelter
- A portable toilet facility (May thru October)
- A wood beam footbridge across the Cannon River
- Four primitive campsites
- A canoe launch on the Cannon River